Having owned a 3G iPhone for about a year, I wasn’t too torqued up about upgrading to a 3G[S] given the short list of improvements and cost of upgrading. But now that I’ve spent a few days with the new device, I gotta say, I am impressed. Here are my favorite improvements:
- Voice Command – It’s about time! Voice dialing is long overdue. Voice command also allows basic iPod control which is an added bonus.
- 32GB of storage – Up from 16GB. Not earth-shattering from a technical standpoint, but 32GB holds what I would consider a reasonable amount of media, which puts this device closer to what I would call my “all-in-one device”. With the 16GB 3G, I carried a separate iPod with more music and video on it. I don’t need to do that now.
- Faster performance – Apps open quicker and the whole experience is “snappier”.
- Fingerprint resistant screen – A very welcome improvement! I don’t know how they do it, but it’s amazing how well the screen resists the greasy streaks caused by normal use. It’s not perfect, but it’s significantly reduced over previous iPhones.
- Full compatibility with Apple In ear headphones. On the 3G, the headphones volume control didn’t work.
All I need now is turn-by-turn GPS (coming soon from TomTom) and I can toss the rest of my devices on ebay.
You might also like: